Overview of the LucidView Internet Content Filter
The LucidView Cloud provides two levels of Internet Content Filtering depending on how stringent your requirements are:
The LucidView Content filter is enforced on two levels making it extremely difficult to circumvent:
- DNS based Content Filter – Clean, safe Internet is becoming a basic requirement, as a result of the rapid increase in public WiFi access points. The LucidView MikroTik Content filter is an essential tool in meeting this requirement.
- Firewall based Content Filter – This is LucidView’s more sophisticated Content Filter. Each incoming and outgoing connection is analysed, classified and either blocked or allowed, depending on your needs. This is key tool in ensuring your policy is enforced. Any connection in contravention, is immediately “killed” via the MikroTik Enforcer Firewall.
Ultimately both aim to provide you and your clients with Clean Internet™ as per each client’s own definition.
The LucidView Content Filter Categories
The LucidView Content Filter is extensive and can be used by ISPs, large Enterprises, SMEs as well as home users.
LucidView does not rely on existing databases to ensure that content is always classified and categorised correctly. We have our own crawlers that are constantly crawling the web looking for new sites to add to our already extensive database.
Our Content Filter is constantly learning and updating every hour of every day. Thousands of new sites are added and classified every hour. This means if a new unknown site is published and you or your client access it, within an hour the LucidView Web Crawlers will have browsed, analysed and categorised the site.
Our categories are as follows:
- Adult – Sites containing explicit content.
- Movies – Sites which deliver movies and music content.
- Untrustworthy –HTTPS sites that do not have valid SSL certificates hosted on them.
- Risk – Known malware or phishing sites (link to IDS page)
- Gambling– Online gambling sites.
- Anonymizer – Web based proxies and unblock sites used to bypass Firewalls and thus, Content Filtering.
- Torrents – Identifies BitTorrent file distribution system connections. These are typically used for multimedia file sharing
- Instant Messaging – (IM) technology is a type of online chat that offers real-time text transmission over the Internet.
- Highly Suspicious Connections – Connections typically used by hackers to gain remote access into your network, usually for nefarious reasons such as stealing data, installing malware and planting ransomware.
- Enforce Google Safe Search – This enforces the Google Safe Search feature on Google searches.
- Enforcer YouTube Safe Search – This will force the Google safe search filter to be activated for YouTube.
- Facebook – Facebook and Instagram
- YouTube – Allows you to block or schedule time for YouTube
Ultimately, this is achieved by using the LucidView Cloud Service to turn your MikroTik Router into a MikroTik Enforcer, thereby providing critical visibility allowing for effective network management.